Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rituals of Comfort

Observing personal rituals is pretty fascinating and since my first entry on the car with 2 clubs, I've noticed so many more! (Note that my definition of ritual in this regard is an act based on belief that results in an emotional output but that is not based on fact. A personal ritual in this context may not have any true benefit at all.)

Before I worked in the restaurant industry (and read Kitchen Confidential), I used to wipe off my utensils before every meal. Then I saw that there are so many other things to worry about that I set aside that particular ritual for a whole set of new ones (not ordering meat well-done, not ordering fish with too much sauce...).

Notice the wedge of napkin deliberately placed beneath the only portion of the utensil set in contact with the table. How big of a difference this actually makes is debatable but the comfort this ritual brings is undeniable.

No comments: