Monday, January 19, 2009

Rituals of Hope

I was walking around my neighborhood the other day and noticed this curious site of 2 clubs on one steering wheel. It made me think of the rituals individuals often have that realistically have no functional purpose (if someone can get through one of those clubs, they can probably get through the second) but which we do to give us a feeling -- a sense of security, togetherness, etc. At the end of the day, these rituals represent a hope -- a hope that 2 clubs will keep your car from being stolen, a hope that leaving the light on will keep your home safe.

What rituals do you have that help give you hope?

1 comment:

Robert Quintero said...

hmmm, I get a new haircut if I have a big occasion coming up-like a job interview or if Im trying to impress a girl. But now that I think about it I have a whole routine to try to give myself confidence in certain situations....weird. Good question Liu