Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kaya Toast-la!

Today's food exploration? Kaya Toast! A traditional Singaporean breakfast that I've read about on some other blogs, Kaya Toast is a simple slice of bread spread with kaya jam and butter. Kaya jam is made from coconut milk, egg (chicken or duck), flavored with pandan leaf and sweetened with sugar. You usually eat the toast with a nice cup of coffee and soft boiled egg. (I was a little too anxious and wolfed down my toast before my eggs even hit the table...oops.)

They also have different variations (french toast & french roll) which utilize different breads and/or are dipped in egg but I went for the classic version and it was yummy. I'll definitely be back for more. (Nathan, want me to send you some Kaya jam for your pancakes?)

PS: There are two main chains in Singapore that serve this tasty treat: 1) Killiney Kopitiam (where I went) and 2) Ya Kun.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Audrey, I'm so jealous. I'm exploring the food here in LA. There is a certain romance to doing abroad though. Of course I'd like some Kaya Jam! Why didn't I find out about this last time? All the things I missed.

shoji said...

i need some browhaus advice.